Afternoon Tea on the Cutty Sark

The Cutty Sark built in Scotland in 1869, is now located in Greenwich, where she marked her 150th birthday this yearCutty SarkI was invited to celebrate 150 years of the Cutty Sark by learning more about the ship and enjoying afternoon tea underneath her hull!

A Brief History of The Cutty Sark

The Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship, most famously known for transporting tea from China to British shores. She was one of the last tea clippers to be built and certainly one of the fastest in her prime.Her time in the tea trade was cut short by the opening of the Suez Canal, which provided steamships a much shorter route from China. She went on to transport other cargo including wool from Australia.It was during this period that she earned the title of the fastest ship, as the Cutty Sark completed the journey from Australia to the UK almost a month quicker than any other vessel.The Cutty Sark’s journey from tea clipper to museum was a convoluted one. It was in the 1920s that a retired navy captain recognised a ship in Falmouth Harbour as the Cutty Sark and chose to purchase her. She was used as a training ship for cadets, where boys would live aboard and train for a career in either the Royal Navy or the Merchant Marines.

The Cutty Sark Preservation Society was established in 1953, to bring her to permanent berth in Greenwich. Where she remains until this day as an icon of the bygone era of sailing.

Exploring The Cutty Sark

Your ticket gives you access to the ship so you can explore the museum and learn about the vessel’s history.There are artefacts, interactive displays and a great deal information available that will give you an in-depth history of the ship and how it evolved over the years from the tea trade until modern day.You are also able to go on the deck of the ship and walk around, even heading into the captain’s quarters and to the wheel, to get an idea of what life was like onboard.One of the highlights of being on deck is the incredible views you have over Canary Wharf.Afternoon Tea on The Cutty Sark

It is incredibly fitting that you are now able to enjoy afternoon tea directly under the copper hull of the Cutty Sark – a clipper built with the purpose to transport tea to Britain.Afternoon tea is served in the Cutty Sark Cafe, located underneath the ship. It has to be said that the surroundings for this quintessential English treat are stunning. The ship hangs over three meters above the ground encased by a unique steel and glass designed roof.
You’ll be presented with an afternoon tea stand offering a selection of sandwiches to enjoy including the classics; salmon, cucumber and ham. The next layer includes an array of mini desserts such as macrons, millionaire shortbread and some truly delicious brownies. Finally, there are homemade traditional raisin scones with clotted cream and a pot of strawberry jam.

You have the choice between a bot of English Breakfast tea or coffee, all served on the most darling dishes.

The cost of the afternoon tea is £31.50 per adult, this also includes entry to the Cutty Sark.

If you are looking for a unique destination for afternoon tea in London, I’d definitely recommend heading to the beautiful area of Greenwich and enjoying the Cutty Sark’s offering. You also have the opportunity to explore a piece of nautical history whilst you’re there.

This post is sponsored by Royal Greenwich Museums. As always, all photography and opinions are my own.

18 Comments

1. July 12, 2019 / 7:44 pm

I would love to visit The Cutty Sark. I just finished reading Taipan by James Clavell and it is all about shipping from China to the British shores and all the politics around it. I think I may need to book a trip soon 🙂

• July 13, 2019 / 10:47 am

I think you would really enjoy a visit if the book was of interest for you! 🙂

2. July 12, 2019 / 10:48 pm

I love me a good nautical history. I live near water myself, and love bringing tourists to areas like this one. I will definitely check this out when I go to London. I had never heard of the cutty sark. It’s definitely a discovery.

• July 13, 2019 / 10:49 am

I feel like Greenwich is an underrated area in London, it’s SO beautiful! The Cutty Sark is such a unique spot for afternoon tea, you’d really enjoy it.

3. July 13, 2019 / 10:28 am

ooo I’ve never thought to go to the Cutty Sark but this has made me add it to my list – thank you!

• July 13, 2019 / 10:49 am

Right? It’s not a spot that springs to mind, but it’s really nice to explore for a couple of hours in the sun!

4. July 13, 2019 / 10:39 am

Wow this looks like an amazing experience 🥰

Your photography is really good!
    Hope I can make it to London soon 🙌
    Thank you !

• July 13, 2019 / 10:52 am

Thank you so much! It was a really photogenic spot 🙂

5. July 13, 2019 / 7:56 pm

I love, love, love tea service but can only imagine how much better the experience would be to have it on such a beautiful vessel! I am hoping that my work will bring me to London next year. And if so, I would happily “tour and tea” The Cutty Sark.

6. July 13, 2019 / 8:56 pm

The Cutty Sark looks amazing! So much history! What a cool experience:)

7. July 14, 2019 / 3:18 am

What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! I love these old sailing ships.

8. July 14, 2019 / 10:23 pm

I have never been to Greenwich. I would like to witness a part of this history when I am there. So cool!

9. July 15, 2019 / 3:56 pm

Having never thought of going to the Cutty Sark this has now been added to my bucket list!

10. Meagan Badore
    July 16, 2019 / 12:57 am

This is such a cool experience. I love history so to visit something so remarkable is wonderful.

11. July 16, 2019 / 6:12 am

Hi Gemma,
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.I found this helpful for my travel book.Thanks again for all the great information.
    Happy blogging.

12. July 16, 2019 / 3:20 pm

Now that looks like a lot of fun. I’d love to see if we could visit the Cutty Sark sometimes. I love anything to do with history.

13. July 17, 2019 / 3:17 pm

It looks like such a fun time out there. My daughter and I really do love doing teas. And doing it on a ship would be such a lot of fun.

14. July 24, 2019 / 7:17 pm

This looks like such an amazing excursion. How exciting to have been invited for the celebration!