5 pictures that will put Siberia on your Bucket List!

Siberia is a place of extreme and evocative landscapes.  A place of contradictions, where the winters are frozen with snow filled days, yet the warm hospitality and cosy wooden cabins make you feel at home. Where the landscape is so vast that it feels almost infinite, yet you have the urge to explore every corner of this beautiful region.

I heard that G.W.F Hegel once said nothing happens in Siberia. Well, Sir, I will have to disagree with that! There are an abundance of adventures to be had in Siberia; pristine landscapes to be explored and different cultures to be discovered.

I had the pleasure of visiting the Altai Mountains with Follow Up Siberia, a cross-cultural digital project sponsored by Nornickel and Euronews that is showcasing what this region has to offer in the lead up to the 2019 Winter Universiade, which will be held in Krasnoyarsk.

I want to share some images of this incredible destination that will challenge any preconceived notions you have about what Siberia is like and have you eager to book the first flight there (which isn’t even that far from Moscow, really).

Siberia
Blue Lakes at Katun River
Girls swimming in the lake!

Patmos Island
A Banya at Lesnaya Skazka

Is this what you expected to see in Siberia? Of course, I visited in winter, so it meets the snowy stereotype but it actually wasn’t that cold during our trip. I had never imagined Siberia to be so beautiful, very naive of me given how expansive this region is – it offers a multitude of remarkable landscapes.

Here is an additional drone shot to enjoy!

Photographer: Vitaly Gololobov for Follow Up Siberia

23 Comments

1. January 8, 2019 / 12:22 am

Beautiful! I would love to go here one day. Siberia has the best scenery. I love your photos.

2. January 8, 2019 / 12:45 am

Your photographs are stunning! Honestly, Siberia was not in my travel bucket list but I am now so curious about the place! Thanks for a wonderful post!

3. January 8, 2019 / 1:40 am

That third picture is my favorite! I love how the sun looks through the trees! It is one of my dreams to visit cool places and take great pictures

4. January 8, 2019 / 6:20 am

I have to say, the place looks amazing! Katun river is picture perfect. It is this kind of places photographers would love to go.

5. Sundeep
    January 8, 2019 / 7:27 am

I love winters. And this place is heaven for me. Looks like amazing place to stay with friends and family. I am adding Siberia to my bucket list. And try to visit asap.

6. January 8, 2019 / 9:51 am

Oh wow, can we just talk about how those log cabins look like something from a movie. I am sold it really is going to my bucket list, so beautiful.

7. January 8, 2019 / 12:08 pm

Siberia is hauntingly beautiful. These are wonderful images of Siberia that have definitely convinced me that it is worth a visit in this lifetime.

8. January 8, 2019 / 7:27 pm

Siberia is now on my bucket list for sure. I was expecting to see at least one Siberian Husky in your photographs but alas there wasn’t any to be found.

9. January 8, 2019 / 7:50 pm

I have never been to siberia as I do not like cold weather but having said that, I do enjoy skiing so this may be on my next winter vacation list

10. January 8, 2019 / 8:16 pm

Now I understand why I should put Syberia on my bucketlist! The photos are really stunning … although I’m not very fond of winter … in Poland it’s all white right now! 🙂

11. January 8, 2019 / 9:35 pm

Wow Siberia looks so beautiful! I would love to visit it someday! These pictures are quite stunning!

12. January 9, 2019 / 2:04 am

That cabin in the woods looks delightful! The way the sun breaks through the trees just makes me wanna go sit in a window and soak it all up! Definitely gonna have to add Siberia to my bucket list!

13. January 9, 2019 / 2:05 am

Beautiful! That’s definitely a place worth visiting

14. January 9, 2019 / 6:52 am

WOW. You are right, I never thought Siberia could look that beautiful. It gives me that Tundra vibe in the middle of winter. IDK If I could ever visit because I start freezing with anything below 70 degree. I”m a spoiled California girl when it comes to weather. But if I ever get the courage to visit a place with a real winter, I will keep Siberia in mind.

XO Andie

15. Becca Wilson
    January 9, 2019 / 2:59 pm

I have never really thought about travel to Siberia before but it is so gorgeous! I would love to take all of that in one day.

16. January 9, 2019 / 8:15 pm

You’re right! Those pictures definitely added this my Bucket List! What a beautiful place and one that I’ve never thought about visiting before!

17. Kay Pittman
    January 10, 2019 / 2:16 am

Wow this is breathtaking! I am obsessed with the mountains and obsessed with cabins. I haven’t been outside of the United States yet but this is far more beautiful than the mountains I have visited. My family and I take a trip to the mountains of Tennessee every year and will be staying in a cabin this year.

18. Devyani
    January 10, 2019 / 5:51 am

This looks like a scene from the movies !! I have to visit Siberia now ! And may I say what a unique place to visit.

19. January 11, 2019 / 1:41 pm

OMKG!Siberia is now officially on my bucket list! Blue Lake has to be my most favorite spot! I love the unique views!

20. January 14, 2019 / 6:29 am

I think Siberia is the last place I would like to go. But know, thanks to your post I’m curious!

21. May 17, 2019 / 7:29 am

These are amazing! I’d love to go one day.

• June 26, 2019 / 3:36 pm

Thank you! It’s definitely a place to add to your list, I thoroughly enjoyed it there.

22. November 12, 2019 / 5:38 pm

One life isn’t enough to explore Siberia. It’s as vast as you can imagine! There are plenty of awesome cities to explore (Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Omsk) and they are REALLY far from each other! A trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway is arguably the best way to explore Siberia, not to mention one of the cheapest!